- Disturbances in seabed slope which have occurred over short periods of time have caused scientists to believe __________ more extensive than at first thought.
- A. that tectonic drift is
- B. tectonic drifts
- C. which tectonic drift
- D. tectonic drifting
- _______ the manatee of south Florida is being pushed to the edge of extinction due to the invasion of its habitat by motorized boats has been shown by marine researchers.
- A. In that
- B. That
- C. Although
- D. Unless
- Virtually all doctors agree ________ a second diagnosis in the event of a potentially major disease.
- A. that patients should seek
- B. patients should be sought
- C. patients they seek
- D. patients that should seek
- _______ found in forests can possess deadly toxicity is an element of folk knowledge that has not been passed down to today’s general public.
- A. Those certain mushrooms
- B. That certain mushrooms
- C. Despite it, certain are the mushrooms
- D. Even though certain mushrooms
- _______ continue to pollute the ocean with all forms of contamination from sewage to solid wastes such as plastic containers remains a mystery to environmentalists.
- A. Although people
- B. Why people
- C. People that
- D. Those people that
- __________ and have low refractive indices, low dielectric constants, and low surface tensions has long been known by chemists.
- A. Those fluorocarbons are more volatile and denser than corresponding hydrocarbons
- B. That fluorocarbons are more volatile and denser than corresponding hydrocarbons
- C. While fluorocarbons are more volatile and denser than corresponding hydrocarbons
- D. When fluorocarbons are more volatile and denser than corresponding hydrocarbons
- __________ advances and broadens our understanding of the complex problems of soil fertility.
- A. Whatever adds to the biochemical knowledge of soils
- B. When it adds that to the biochemical knowledge of soils
- C. While it is added to the biochemical knowledge of soils
- D. Whomever adds to the biochemical knowledge of soils
- It is safe to say __________ does not exceed 25%.
- A. because the average efficiency of the best steam engine
- B. which the average efficiency of the best steam engine
- C. that the average efficiency of the best steam engine
- D. with the average efficiency of the best steam engine
- There is no doubt _________ correspond to the gill clefts which are used in connection with the breathing in fishes.
- A. because of the minute slits which are seen in embryonic reptile and birds
- B. despite the fact that the minute slits which are seen in embryonic reptile and birds
- C. if the minute slits which are seen in embryonic reptile and birds
- D. that the minute slits which are seen in embryonic reptiles and birds
- Blame for the invention of nuclear weapons must fall upon __________.
- A. however conceived their invention in the first place
- B. whenever conceived their invention in the first place
- C. whatsoever conceived their invention in the first place
- D. whoever conceived their invention in the first place
- In ____, the crime rate has begun to drop due to neighborhood
- A. the past few years
- B. few years
- C. a few years ago
- D. a few years since
- Three responsibilities ________ are to search out, identify, and assess patentable inventions and technologies.
- A. to a patent manager
- B. on a patent manager
- C. with a patent manager
- D. of a patent manager
- Disappointingly, many software companies have discovered a limited audience for ________ from the couch.
- A. Web surfing
- B. to Web surf
- C. Web to surf
- D. Web surfs
- Shooting stars, otherwise known as meteorites, often fall to Earth in a pattern dictated ________ and Earth rotation.
- A. to solar winds
- B. on solar winds
- C. by solar winds
- D. which solar winds
- Ink stains, commonly regarded __________ difficult stains to remove, will not succumb to the usual array of detergents and cleaners found in supermarkets.
- A. as the most
- B. in the most
- C. to the most
- D. through the most
Examples of selective use __________ are found in commercial leaf removal prior to harvest in the cotton and sugar beet industries. A. of defoliants C. by defoliants B. in defoliants D. through defoliants
Ethyl cyanoacetate is derived __________ of an alkali cyanide and chloroacetic ethyl ester. A. at the reaction C. from the reaction
B. to the reaction D. above the reaction
On the second level of mammalian evolution, that __________ mammals or marsupials, the eggs are practially yolkless. A. to the pouching C. of the pouched B. in the pouches D. by the pouchable
Foraging ants make a network __________ around the nest. A. inside roads C. by roads B. of roads D. to roading
_____ its richness and varied coloring, Schubert’s Symphony in C has enjoyed a deserved reputation among classical music lovers. A. Renowning by C. Renownable to B. Renowned for D. Renowning with
__________ was awarded the Nobel Prize in physics for his work on the photoelectric effect. A. That Einstein C. It was Einstein B. Einstein who D. Einstein
________ of Willa Catha present an unadorned picture of life on the prairies of the Midwestern United States during the 19th century. A. The stories who C. That the novels B. The novels which D. The novels
Unlike the climate of the other islands of Hawaii, ________ Kona contains 54 different temperate zones. A. that of C. this is B. these are D. those that
With few exceptions, ________ are warm-blooded, have live births, and are suckled with milk from their mother’s body. A. which mammals C. mammals B. mammals that D. mammals, they
Among all the scientists of the 1930s, ________ was so suited to carry out the Manhattan project as J.Robert Oppenheimer. A. no scientists C. not who was a scientist B. none D. a scientist never he
By the time of the appearance of “Paulus”, _______was widely recognized as the most famous living composer. A. it was Felix Mendelssohn B. Felix Mendelssohn who C. Felix Mendelssohn D. Felix Mendelssohn whom
__________ is as widespread in the U.S.as the grey squirrel, an animal actually classified as a rodent. A. No mammal C. Not a mammal which B. None mammal D. Not a mammal that
In the quiet of the woods, __________ sometimes hears the thrush breaking snail shells. A. the one B. one C. ones D. those ones
__________ is a growing practice in cooperative farming associations to pool and sell the fruit as a common commodity under the brands of the association rather than to sell the fruit of each grower separately. A. There B. One C. It, which D. Why
The __________ the forest reached their highest price in the 1980s. A. products of C. productions by B. producers to D. productibilities with
Emma Thompson was nominated for an Academy Award as both a screenwriter __________ an actress in 1996 A. also B. or C. in addition D. and
With neither a naturally aggressive disposition ________ particularly large size, the mimic octopus survives quite easily because of its natural adaptations. A. and a B. with its C. nor a D. or its
Above-ground swimming pools have ________ the flexibility of being able to be moved from place to place but also the efficiency of using less water than standard in-ground pools. A. that B. all C. in addition D. not only
Life in the Sahara has many negative features including aridity and high temperatures but many positive aspects ________. A. in addition to C. as well D. coupled with B. plus
As a universal language, Esperanto has never really gained widespread acceptance ________ its lack of native speakers. A. because C. as a result D. in order to B. due to
Readily soluble in sulfuric and nitric acid, mercury is __________ birth defects can easily result from its ingestion by pregnant women. A. such poisonous that C. so poisonous that B. too poisonous that D. very poisonous that
Synthetic polymers may be __________ thermoplastic or thermosetting depending on the action of tolylene diisocyanate. A. both B. as well as C. but also D. either
Answer Key: 1. A 2. B 3. A 4. B 5. B 6. B 7. A 8. C 9. D 10. D 11. A 12. D 13. A 14. B 15. A 16. A 17. C 18. C 19. B 20. B 21. D 22. D 23. A 24. B 25. B 26. C 27. A 28. B 29. A 30. A 31. D 32. C 33. A 34. B 35. B 36. B 37. D